Another bus set alight in Cape Town
Share this article:
Cape Town - An eighth Golden Arrow bus was set alight, in Mfuleni, Cape Town, the company said on Tuesday.
“A group of people pulled the driver out of the bus and set it alight around 8pm last night (Monday). There was extensive damage,” Golden Arrow bus services spokeswoman Bronwen Dyke said.
The attack took place near Malibu Circle outside Mfuleni. Dyke said the driver was treated for shock.
Western Cape police spokesman Captain Frederick van Wyk said no violence was reported in Nyanga overnight.
A taxi driver was shot dead and buses were set alight amid a protest in the area on Monday. The 39-year-old man from Zwelitsha was apparently shot while on his way to work.
The shooting occurred at the same time as a violent protest in the area, in which seven buses were set alight and four badly damaged. Eleven bus drivers were pulled from their vehicles and assaulted.
Dyke said while the crowd could have been taxi drivers who were protesting, the company preferred not to speculate and would leave it to police to investigate.
Two MyCiti buses were also vandalised in the vicinity on Monday. One was stoned on the N2 freeway and another set alight on Mew Way in Khayelitsha.
Golden Arrow buses had been operating on the outskirts of Delft, Mfuleni, and Nyanga since Monday afternoon.
Dyke said bus services resumed in Delft on Tuesday morning.
Due to possible threats to safety, bus services had been pulled out of Samora Machel and were operating on the outskirts of the area.