Fee bearing image – Cape Town – 150721 – A seven months pregnant Talana Jo Huysamer left Wynberg Magistrates Court today as a free woman after the charges against her was dropped. Huysamer was accused of shocking another woman with a taser and shouting racist remarks after a dispute in a parking lot. Reporter: Lisa Isaacs. Photographer: Armand Hough


Cape Town - Former Reddam House junior tennis coach Talana-Jo Huysamer has been let off the hook after criminal charges brought against her following an altercation over a parking space in Claremont were dropped.

Huysamer, who is seven months pregnant, stood in the dock for not more than a minute as she heard that the charges against her had been withdrawn.

But the complainant, Chantlé Hoffmann, said she would “explore other legal avenues” to address the matter.

Huysamer, of Hout Bay, faced charges of crimen injuria and aggravated assault after she was alleged to have assaulted Hoffmann, of Ottery, calling her the K-word and shocking her with a Taser in Harfield Village on January 3.

Huysamer appeared for the start of the trial on Tuesday.

But during a short appearance at the Wynberg Magistrate’s Court, prosecutor Rahidien Cullis said the State would withdraw the charges in accordance with a request from Hoffmann.

“The publicity around the incident has had a huge impact on me personally and professionally. As a result, I have decided to withdraw the criminal charges, but will explore other legal avenues as I believe racist incidents of this nature should not go unchecked,” Hoffmann said.

Huysamer’s attorney, William Booth, said: “This is a final withdrawal, in other words, there’s not going to be a later decision to charge again.

“On the evidence as a whole, there is no reasonable prospect of successful prosecution in this matter.

“It would have been an interesting matter for trial but I think there are no merits, so why waste the court’s time,” Booth added.

Outside the courtroom, a group of her family and friends tearfully embraced one another and an emotional Huysamer.

She said the conclusion to the matter was “bittersweet” before being swept away by her family.

“It has been a hectic seven months, the family is really happy that this is over. And we all get to move on with our lives,” a family member said.

[email protected]

Cape Times