Cape Town - 20150101 - A person was shot and killed in a car in Burg Street in the Cape Town CBD on the first day of the New Year. Contact details for cousin of the deceased: Malibongwe - 078 186 4589. Picture: David Ritchie (0836524951)

Cape Town - A Cape Town policeman allegedly shot and killed his ex-girlfriend in a jealous rage in the city centre before later killing himself at home.

This is according to a family member of a man who was injured in the attack and is now in hospital.

While police on Friday confirmed the shooting, they would not say whether the 28-year-old woman shot dead at the corner of Burg and Castle streets on Thursday night was killed by a policeman.

Police spokesman Captain Frederick van Wyk said police were still investigating the shooting. No arrests have been made.

A 35-year-old man who was injured in the shooting was taken to hospital.

Malibongwe Noxinyeka said the injured man was his cousin, Zukisani Sigidi, who is recovering in Somerset Hospital. He said Sigidi had been in a relationship with the now dead woman, Khanyisa Kolobile from Blackheath, who worked in Long Street as a waitress.

Noxinyeka said Sigidi and Kolobile were sitting in a parked car in the CBD when the policeman allegedly opened fired on them after opening the vehicle’s passenger door.

He said the policeman later committed suicide by shooting himself.

This version of events was corroborated by a credible source, who asked not to be named.

Noxinyeka said Kolobile and his injured cousin had been in a relationship for five years.

However, in that time she had left Sigidi for a brief relationship with the policeman.

Last night, Noxinyeka said his cousin had phoned him from the crime scene on Thursday to explain what had happened.

When he got there, however, Sigidi had already been moved to hospital. “She (Kolobile) was in the car and she was dead.”

A Cape Argus photographer was on the scene at 11.15pm, about an hour after the shooting. He said police asked him to delete photos of the crime scene he had taken with his cellphone camera.

The photographer refused, arguing he had the right to take photos as a member of the media and produced his press card.

He returned with his camera and was asked to stop taking photos, as he was allegedly “disturbing the crime scene”.

“I was approached again and was told in no uncertain terms that if I take one more picture, my camera will be confiscated and I will lose all the images I had already taken,” he said.

l Police have asked anyone with more information about the shooting to contact Crime Stop on 08600 10111.

Weekend Argus