CAPE TOWN – These are the Coronavirus stories you need to know today :
1) Health minister Zweli Mkhize announced that South Africa now has 1380 confirmed Covid-19 cases, an increase of 27 confirmed cases.
READ MORE: 1380 COVID-19 INFECTIONS IN SA, SAYS MKHIZE
2) There is understandable confusion around the use of masks and their effectiveness in preventing Covid-19 infection, however Health Minister Dr. Zweli Mkhize has been emphatic in his response to the matter.
3) Government will be embarking on a mass screening and testing programme, going into communities and homes but concerns regarding the authenticity of the people knocking on doors and ensuring that they were not would-be criminals were raised in several sectors of society.
In an interview with Radio 702, the deputy director of the health, Dr Yogan Pillay said that the field workers will be required to carry their identification badges, wear their uniform as well as carry their official ID documents.
READ MORE : COVID -19 FIELDWORKERS - HERE ARE SOME SAFETY PRECAUTIONS
4) Technology has been leading the way in the fight against Covid-19. We take a look at tech solutions that have been assisting authorities cope with the pandemic.
READ MORE : 5 TECHNOLOGIES HELPING US FIGHT COVID-19
5) World Health Organisation (WHO) director-general Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus this week praised President Cyril Ramaphosa’s leadership as the country battles the highest coronavirus (Covid-19) infection rate on the continent.
READ MORE : WHO boss praises South Africa's response to Covid-19 pandemic