DURBAN - As the National lockdown continues, many public services remain closed with only essential services operating. The shutting down of these services is aimed at reducing the spread of pandemic Covid-19.
One of the services that remain closed are laundromats which leads to people having to rely on other means to get their dirty clothes cleaned.
Here are easy steps to follow to hand wash your laundry :
1) Separate your laundry into different piles, according to material and colour.
Different materials absorb water at different rates and also require different amounts of energy to wash them. The dyes from the clothes could mix when you are washing and change lighter coloured clothes into different colours.
2) Fill a sink or tub with water and either add washing detergent or use a handwash bar.
Washing detergent will be easier to use as it is already in a liquid form where a handwash bar may leave a mark on clothes if it is not scrubbed out properly.
3) Add your laundry to the water and scrub the material of each garment together
This will allow for the soap to be absorbed into the clothes.
4) Leave your clothes to soak for about 10 to 25 minutes
Due to the different materials used in clothes, some may take longer than others to soak.
5) Wash the clothes by rubbing its material together.
For stronger fabrics like denim, a toothbrush or scrubbing brush may be used to remove stubborn stains.
6) Drain the water and rinse the clothes with running water until all the soap is out.
This step may be repeated several times depending on how tough the material is.
7) Squeeze or ring rinsed clothes and hang them on a line to dry.
If you don’t have access to a line, hang your clothes in the bathroom or balcony. Use a portable fan to assist with drying your clothes, indoors.