Independent Online

Wednesday, December 6, 2023

View 0 recent articles pushed to you.Like us on FacebookFollow us on TwitterView weather by locationView market indicators

WATCH: Residents look for cash following explosive cash-in-transit heist in KwaMashu

Published Oct 4, 2023


Less than 24 hours after a cash-in-transit (CIT) heist in Durban left one person dead, another has taken place in KwaMashu.

Emer-G-Med spokesperson Kyle Van Reenan said they responded to reports of a CIT heist on Malendela Drive in KwaMashu at around 6am.

“On arrival on scene an armoured vehicle was found to have been blown up and engulfed in flames,” Van Reenan said.

“Three people were treated for moderate injuries and taken by ambulances to nearby hospitals for further medical care.”

Provincial police spokesperson Colonel Robert Netshiunda said a cash delivery truck was was accosted by suspects who were reportedly travelling in at least two vehicles.

“The suspects overpowered three security guards and allegedly robbed them of their firearms before fleeing from the scene with an undisclosed amount of money.”

He said a manhunt has been launched for the suspects.

Police are appealing to anyone who might have information regarding the whereabouts of the suspects to contact the nearest police station or call the crime stop number 08600 10111.

In Tuesday’s event ALS Paramedics spokesperson, Garrith Jamieson, said they were alerted to the CIT heist just after 9am on the M35 near Folweni.

“The vehicle was found lying on its side against a property,” he said.

A cash-in-transit heist on the M35 left one person dead. Picture: ALS Paramedics

“A quick triage was done by paramedics and one guard was found to have sustained fatal injuries and unfortunately there was nothing paramedics could do for him and he was declared deceased on scene,” Jamieson said.

“One guard had sustained critical gunshot wounds and was stabilized on scene by Advanced Life Support Paramedics before a call was made to the Netcare911 Aeromedical Helicopter to airlift the guard to hospital.”

The third guard sustained moderate injuries and was stabilised on scene.

IOL News