Cape Town-100209-Hundreds of mourners gathered in Bredasdorp for the funeral of Anene Booysen, who had been raped and brutally murdered. Her father Klaasie Speelman and foster mother Corlia Olivier support each other during the service. Reporter Jason Felix. Picture Jeffrey Abrahams

Cape Town - Tragedy has struck murdered Bredasdorp teenager Anene Booysen’s family yet again, with her biological father murdered and her foster mother admitted to hospital on the same day.

Like Anene, who was found raped, mutilated and left for dead at a housing construction site, police found the body of her father, Klaasie Speelman, with multiple stab wounds at a dumping site not far from where he lived.

Police confirmed on Thursday that Speelman had been found stabbed to death after being attacked in his home on Tuesday night by a man who lived nearby, who came to demand money.

Western Cape police spokesman Colonel Tembinkosi Kinana said the suspect had approached Booysen’s father in the shack he shared with his live-in girlfriend.

“It is alleged that the father of the late Anene Booysen was in his home with his partner when the man arrived and demanded money. According to reports, he gave him a sum of R10,” he said.

Kinana said local police suspected that the attacker wanted more money and stabbed the deceased when he failed to produce it.

Bredasdorp station commander Lieutenant-Colonel Maree Louw said Speelman’s girlfriend went to hide and only told police of the incident the next morning.

“We’ve arrested a suspect and police are investigating a murder case.”

She said the suspect would appear in the Bredasdorp Magistrate’s court in due course.

Meanwhile, Anene’s foster mother, Corlia Olivier, who was diagnosed with cancer was admitted to hospital on the same day that Speelman was murdered. Olivier’s sister, Elsabie Sheldon, said on Thursday the family feared the worst.

“She is very sick in the local hospital. It’s just so sad,” she said.

Anene’s killer, Johannes Kana, received two life sentences in November last year after being found guilty of raping and killing the 17-year-old.

It was reported last week that police might arrest more suspects for Anene’s rape and murder should they get new information from four potential witnesses who apparently were not interviewed at the time of the incident on February 2, last year.

The witnesses were found by private investigators hired by Kana’s family. A friend of Anene’s family, Jonathan “Zwai” Davids, was arrested shortly after her murder, but was later freed due to a lack of evidence. Anene had whispered the name “Zwai” before she died. In December Kana was denied leave to appeal his conviction.

Commenting on the possible new witnesses, Western Cape police said they were satisfied with their investigations into Anene’s murder.

[email protected]

Cape Argus