File picture: Simphiwe Mbokazi

Cape Town - SAA cabin crew member Wesley Ford, shaken but only slightly injured in an attempted robbery after being forced to stop after rocks were placed on the N2 near the airport, is returning to work on Monday after more than a week off.

Ford says he was bruised on the ribs, forearm and right thigh but escaped being stabbed when three men attempted to hijack him after he pulled up to avoid the rocks in broad daylight near Cape Town International Airport.

The attack occurred at about 1.30pm on July 2, two days before SAA pilot Archie Bell narrowly escaped being robbed when his vehicle hit a box containing a chunk of concrete, puncturing a front tyre.

“It all happened so quickly. I was fortunate enough not to be stabbed, but it was close,” Ford said.

“I’m feeling much better now. I took off work and I went through counselling last week. It was a traumatic experience.”

Ford said he was driving home to Grassy Park from the airport when he saw three “huge” rocks in the road.

“I managed to swerve past the first one, but I could not avoid the other. I hit it and damaged my car. I drove for about 50m, then stopped.”

Ford got out to inspect the car and found it was damaged underneath.

He was phoning for assistance when he saw three men coming down the off-ramp towards him. One had a knife, he said.

“One guy smashed the window on the driver’s side with a brick, while the other guy tried to get into the car.

“I pushed the door against them. I used my work bag, which is about the size of a laptop bag, to fend them off.

“As this was happening other cars were driving past. I suspect one might have bumped me, that was how I became bruised on my thigh.”

Ford said the men stopped their assault when a truck driver pulled up, coming to his rescue.

The three men ran into a nearby informal settlement.

He called the airport police, who were on the scene in about 10 minutes, and his employers, Ford said. He was taken to hospital for an X-ray.

He filed a complaint with the Bishop Lavis police.

Police spokesman Andre Traut said the incident was under investigation.

He urged motorists to exercise caution.

“Although it is not common, people using the N2 - or any other highway - at night must be aware of this trend and avoid driving over bags and boxes. These items are used to conceal concrete blocks and other objects which can damage your vehicle and force you to stop,” Traut said.

No arrests had been made.

[email protected]

Cape Times