Coffin assault accused Willem Oosthuizen (left) and Theo Martins Jackson inside the Delmas High Court in Mpumalanga. PHOTO: ANA
Cape Town - The two men who were on Friday convicted on various charges relating to them stuffing farmworker Victor Mlotshwa in a coffin will remain out on bail until their sentencing on October 23.

The State had argued the men might be tempted to flee before sentencing and that their lives may be in danger should their bail of R1,000 not be revoked.

But Judge Sheila Mphahlele said the men had attended court regularly and on time during the trial. She also said the community should trust that the "wheels of justice" were turning since they were convicted and that they should trust the courts to mete out justice during sentencing proceedings.

"I'm ruling that bail be extended to the 23 of October 2017 which is the date of sentencing," said Mphahelele.

Willem Oosthuizen and Theo Jackson were found guilty of attempted murder, assault with the intent to cause grievous bodily harm, kidnapping, and intimidation. One of the men was also found guilty of obstructing the administration of justice.

During her earlier judgement, Mphahlele said: "The conduct of the accused...is evidence of people intending to commit murder."

"In the final analysis the State has proven beyond a reasonable doubt the commission of all offences except for count 1."

Count 1 was the illegal possession of a firearm. Mphahelele said this charge was not proven.

Oosthuizen and Jackson were arrested late last year, shortly after a video of the incident went viral on social media and sparked outrage, as well as making headlines internationally. 

African News Agency