Lusindiso Boosman, right, was the first witness to testify for the State in the case against Sibusiso Ntetho, left, his housemate and friend of one year. Picture: Tracey Adams

Cape Town -

A convicted murderer has testified that his former co-accused planned the burglaries of holiday houses in a private nature reserve in Velddrif and that they had bludgeoned one homeowner to death after finding him home.

Lusindiso Boosman was the first witness to testify for the State in the case against Sibusiso Ntetho, his housemate and friend of one year.

Boosman testified that he and Ntetho were at home in St Helena Bay when Ntetho devised a plan to “go to townhouses. We went by foot, it took us about two hours to get there,” said Boosman, who is serving 23 years in jail for his role in the burglaries and in the murder of Alexander Otton.

The State alleges the men entered the Flaminkevlei private nature reserve near Velddrif on October 21, 2012 with burglary their intention.

Boosman testified that they first burgled a holiday house belonging to James Craven and stole speakers, a DVD player, CDs and a microwave oven. They hid the items in plastic bags in nearby bush intending to retrieve them later, Boosman said.

They went to the house next door not knowing that Otton, 52, a Claremont asset manager, was asleep upstairs.

“He was so surprised to see us. He jumped from the bed. We tried to hold him and tie him. But he refused, he fought, he was difficult. We ended up tying him,” Boosman testified.

The men scoured the house, took a bag containing medical supplies; three bags with bottles of wine, electrical equipment, clothes, a cooler box, a toolbox and an iPhone. These items were also hidden in the bush, Boosman said. But while they were carrying the items from the house Ntetho told him that Otton was in the kitchen trying to untie himself.

Boosman, carrying a stolen airgun, and Ntetho a log of braai wood, began beating Otton, striking his head and lower body repeatedly.

On Monday, Ntetho pleaded not guilty to murdering Otton and breaking into his home, but admitted that he entered Craven’s house and stole his possessions.

Judge Nape Dolamo accepted his guilty plea on that count and convicted him.

The trial continues on Tuesday.

[email protected]

Cape Argus