File picture: AFP

Cape Town - Two Cape Town law enforcement officers in Khayelitsha had a narrow escape when three men opened fire on them and damaged their car.

This was just a day after three police officers were shot and killed in two separate incidents in Nyanga and Mfuleni on Monday. The killings were widely condemned and concern was expressed about the safety of police officers.

The two law enforcement officers, who were attached to the city’s rapid response unit responded to an alarm at the Moses Mabhida Library in Site C.

They are members of a unit responsible for monitoring and responding to nearly 3 000 alarms at city premises.

According to a City of Cape Town statement, just after the pair had returned to their car, they were attacked by three men who opened fire on them.

Their car’s window and tyre were damaged.

One of the officers just missed being hit as the bullet damaged her uniform at shoulder height.

Her colleague was able to fire a shot and the attackers ran away.

“I am very relieved that our officers were not physically harmed in this callous attack, but the reality is that it could have ended very differently and they’ll have to carry the mental scars for the rest of their lives,” said the city’s mayoral committee member for safety and security, JP Smith.

The pair were treated for shock and would receive further support and counselling.

“Earlier this year, two of our metro police officers were shot and wounded and shortly afterwards a city traffic officer was also targeted.

“More recently, three police officers died tragically – and literally a day later, this incident occurred.

“It is clear that criminals have absolutely no regard for the law and for those in uniform, but we will do everything in our power to find those responsible for what can only be described as attacks on the state. We appeal to the community to work with us in bringing these criminals to book by coming forward if they have any information.”

Tembinkosi Kinana, the provincial police spokesman, said a case of attempted murder had been opened

In the first of two incidents on Monday, Sergeant Sibongile Ngcawuzele, 37, and Constable Monwabisi Khaka, 33, were gunned down by unidentified men as they sat in their vehicle in Nyanga while keeping watch on an abandoned vehicle.

Their service firearms were stolen by the attackers.

Off-duty policeman Sergeant Theophilus Mlindwa, 41, was killed in a suspected robbery in Mfuleni hours earlier.

* Anyone with information about any of these incidents should contact the city’s 107 emergency call centre which is free from a landline. The number to dial from a cellphone is 021 480 7700. Crime Stop can be contacted at 08600 10111 or SMS Crime Line at 32211.

Cape Times