The accused, Moses Monnapule, made a brief appearance in the Northern Cape High Court on Thursday, only a day after his appearance in the magistrate’s court on Wednesday on charges of allegedly raping two fellow male inmates a week ago, on April 27 and 28.
Monnapule, who will find out next week if he is fit to stand trial, was sent for psychiatric observation at the West End Hospital to determine if he can be held legally responsible for his actions.
He was re-admitted after it was found that one of the psychiatrists that served on the evaluation panel had been suspended by the Health Professional Council of South Africa in 2013 but was still practising.
A minimum of two psychiatrists are required to sit on the panel and a second psychiatrist, Dr Moahloli Enoch Seitshiro, had to be sourced from Bloemfontein.
Senior State Advocate Catherine Jansen told the high court on Thursday that while the psychiatric observation had been finalised, they were waiting for the psychiatrist from Bloemfontein to sign off the report.
“The State is not in possession of the report,” said Jansen.
Judge Bulelwa Pakati postponed the matter until May 12.
Monnapule is due to appear in the Kimberley Magistrate’s Court the day before, on May 11, in connection with the latest rape charges.
His high court appearance follows the alleged kidnapping and rape of a six-year-old girl and an eight-year-old girl in his shanty in Madiba Square, Kimberley, in June 2015 after luring them away from their homes in Kagisho.
The two friends were allegedly kept overnight in his home and were only found by their parents the following day.
During an earlier appearance, he told the high court that he was bewitched and was hearing voices.
He is also apparently unable to remember anything that happened on the day of the incident.
Monnapule will remain in custody until his next court appearance.
Diamond Fields Advertiser