Steven Britz, 44, was shot twice in the head while alone on duty at the Klapmuts police station. File photo: Supplied

Cape Town - Two alleged cop-killers have appeared in court for the murder of Warrant Officer Stephen Britz.

Britz, 44, was the only officer on duty at the Klapmuts police station on Wednesday when he was shot and killed by criminals who robbed the station of firearms.

One of the men who appeared in court on Tuesday is also a policeman.

Police colleague Luvuyo Patrick Ndevu, 30, of 1886 Snake Valley, Khayamandi, appeared in the Paarl Magistrate’s Court with co-accused Anele Pantsi, 33, who formally resides at A80A Khayamandi.

Both were charged with murder and robbery and faced Magistrate SM de Villiers from the dock in front of a packed courtroom.

Among the many police members present were the crack team from the Directorate of Priority Crime Investigations – the DPCI, better known as the Hawks.

According to the charge sheet, the pair were allegedly guilty of “shooting him with a firearm” and taking, “with force”, seven 9mm pistols on April 16, last Wednesday.

The magistrate ruled the pair be remanded in custody in Bellville police cells until their next appearance on April 29, when the court will finalise whether they will be represented by lawyers, or will represent themselves, and whether they will apply for bail.

Ten suspects were detained at the weekend after Britz’s murder and eight were released without being charged.

Britz was shot twice in the head while alone on duty at the Klapmuts police station last Wednesday night

Seven firearms were stolen from the police station in the incident.

Nine of the men were arrested at a shebeen in Kayamandi on Friday night – including policeman Ndevu.

Weekend reports said the arrested policeman had been absent from duty at the police station since March.

The suspect had been due to attend a disciplinary hearing on Tuesday, but failed to turn up.

He was traced via a fingerprint found at the murder scene.

Britz was alone in the charge office during the late night shift because an officer from his four-member shift was on leave.

He was the fourth police officer attacked in the Western Cape this year and the third to die on duty.

The other suspect was arrested at his home in Khayamandi on suspicion that he had taken possession of the firearms that were stolen from a safe at the police station.

Police spokesman Andre Traut said on Monday that the investigation remained “urgent and intensive” and said there could be more arrests.

The eight had been released due to “insufficient evidence at present linking them to the crime”.

According to a post on the Facebook page of Britz’s wife, Lee Ann Britz, her husband’s laptop and bag were also stolen during the attack.

Britz had worked as a policeman for 22 years, and the arrested policeman had served in the SAPS for four years.

Britz leaves his wife and two sons Michael, 18, and Matthew, 11.

Western Cape provincial commissioner Lieutenant-General Arno Lamoer said on Thursday that the incident “was a brazen act, walking into a police charge office, shooting the man on duty and getting away with firearms”.

Cape Argus