Police prepare for the arrival of prisoners outside a Cape Town court.

Western Cape police on Sunday were still keeping mum on the increased speculation surrounding the murder of tourist Anni Dewani.

“We are not commenting on the Dewani case, full stop. The matter is before the court and developments will emerge there,” Lieutenant Colonel Andre Traut said.

Various media reports have indicated through “close and reliable sources in the investigation”, that Shrien Dewani, Anni's husband, was back in the country and was now a suspect in the murder of his Swedish wife in Gugulethu, Cape Town.

Other reports quote “sources” saying that he was helping to identify the men suspected of shooting and killing his wife.

The Weekend Argus on Independent Online, said police were looking for a 31-year-old man, a fourth suspect, who worked for a Cape Town hotel

Three suspects already in custody were the driver of the hijacked taxi, Zola Tongo, 31, Xolile Mngeni, 23, and Mziwamadoda Qwabe, 25.

They all face charges of murder, aggravated robbery and kidnapping, with their next court appearance on Monday in the Wynberg Magistrate's Court.

According to the site a man and woman were seen rushing into the back entrance of the Manenberg police station on Saturday, to observe an identity parade.

The Weekend Argus said: “A large media contingent surrounded the police station, eager to see if Shrien Dewani, 30, would appear. Journalists were told both witnesses were local, and that Dewani was not present.

“On Friday, two sources close to the case said he was in the country and would attend the parade.

“But Dewani's Joburg-based lawyer Billy Gundelfinger strongly denied this, saying his client was grieving,” the article said.

On Sunday the United Kingdom based Daily Mail, said Dewani's father Vinod Hindocha - in a phone call to the publication - said his daughter burst into tears refusing to sit next to her husband on their flight to Cape Town.

He telephoned saying: “We have heard that the air hostess noticed they were sitting separately and Anni was crying.

“The air hostess apparently asked Anni if she would like to sit with Shrien, but Anni said no.”

The report said “it was not clear where this information originated from, or indeed how it was passed to Anni’s family.

“Pressed to elaborate, Mr Hindocha said: 'We are not sure, it is something you will have to check out'.”

On Friday, the Mail&Guardian reported that investigations were taking place to persuade Dewani to return to South Africa voluntarily, and if he did, he would be charged and arrested.

Dewani flew out of Cape Town four days after his wife's body was found in Khayelitsha.

National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) spokesman in the Western Cape Eric Ntabazilila told Sapa on Friday that the NPA could not confirm the reports either.

“Police are doing the investigation so they are the people you need to speak to.

“The NPA does not have that information,” he said.

Dewani, 30, told a British newspaper earlier in the week that he rejected speculation that he was somehow involved in the incident.

He told The Sun newspaper: “People who suggest this could not have seen us together.”

Hindocha issued a statement on Monday, saying: “Further to recent reports in several newspapers I would like to state that my relationship with Shrien is a good one and I love him like a son.

“Whoever did this to my daughter are criminals who need to be caught and put behind bars.

“I have always supported Shrien and I will continue to do so throughout this horrendous ordeal.”

Anni, 28, and Shrien Dewani were married for two weeks when they were attacked by two armed men who hijacked their shuttle service vehicle near Gugulethu.

The couple was apparently returning from a dinner in Somerset West at the time of the attack. - Sapa