Honeymoon murder accused Shrien Dewani. Photographs of Dewani during his first court appearance in SA were prohibited. File picture: Matt Dunham/AP

Cape Town - The case against honeymoon murder-accused Shrien Dewani was delayed in the Western Cape High Court on Tuesday.

Proceedings would get under way at 12.30pm, National Prosecuting Authority provincial spokesman Eric Ntabazalila said.

Dewani, who arrived around 11.20am, was still being processed at the court, he said.

Dewani arrived at the court in a police convoy, consisting of marked and unmarked cars. He entered through a side court gate.

Media at the Western Cape High Court were told they were not allowed to take pictures of Dewani.

A policeman addressed reporters and cameramen inside courtroom one and made it clear that all camera equipment should be removed at 10.45am.

The officer said the media were not allowed to take pictures as per order of the justice department.

Dewani landed at Cape Town International Airport earlier on a private aircraft.

"He has been transported by a chartered plane from the Bristol Airport in the United Kingdom to South Africa. The department of justice procured the chartered plane," spokesman Mthunzi Mhaga said in a statement.

Among the reasons for the private aircraft was that Dewani had previously shown suicidal tendencies, said Mhaga.

When Dewani appears in court he is expected to be charged with conspiracy to commit murder and defeating the ends of justice.

He claimed he and his wife Anni were kidnapped at gunpoint as they drove through Gugulethu in Cape Town in a taxi in November 2010.

The couple had been on honeymoon in the country. He was released unharmed, but his wife's body was found in the abandoned car the next day. She had been shot dead.

Xolile Mngeni was convicted of the murder and jailed for life.

Prosecutors allege Dewani hired him to kill his wife. Two other alleged accomplices are also already serving jail terms in connection with the crime.

Dewani has denied any part in the murder. - Sapa