Medical professionals with foreign qualifications  including South Africans who studied abroad  are finding their chosen career paths hindered by stringent local rules and red tape.

Johannesburg - A well-known East Rand obstetrician and gynaecologist handed himself over to police after he allegedly bludgeoned his wife with a dumbbell as she showered in their Benoni home on Friday.

Joseph Shava, a respected doctor who practises at the Life Glynwood Hospital in Benoni, is believed to have attacked his wife, Mildred, with the 2kg dumbbell after an argument.

He then drove to the Benoni police station and confessed to officers: “I killed my wife.”

A source said policemen at the station thought he was disorientated, but they questioned him about his confession.

“About an hour later, the police went to his house and found her barely alive. She had apparently dragged herself from the shower to the bed and her head was bashed open. The heavy exercise tool lay nearby.

“They expected her to be dead. But she was still breathing.”

She was then rushed to the same hospital where her husband works as a gynaecologist.

On Friday night police confirmed that Shava, 48, had handed himself over to police after he confessed to assaulting his wife with exercise equipment.

“An ambulance was summoned and the wife was taken to hospital in a critical condition. The doctor was arrested and detained at Benoni SAPS, a case of assault GBH (grievous bodily harm) was opened, he will appear in court on Monday,” a police spokesperson said.

Lourens Bekker, Life Healthcare’s chief operating executive, said the hospital group was aware of his arrest.

“We have made alternative (arrangements) with our other supporting gynaecologists (for patients scheduled to be treated by Shava).”

The source said that police had responded to several incidents of domestic violence at the Shavas’ residence over the past few months. Police were unable to confirm this.

The person said that the couple’s 17-year-old son was in the house when the incident occurred and had heard his mother screaming. - Saturday Star