Cape Town-140506-Andile Dyasi, 34 was knocked over during a hit and run while he was selling newspapers in Athlone yesterday morning-Reporter-Kieran Legg-Photographer-Tracey Adams

Cape Town - The car sped towards him hooting, and instinctively he jumped out of the way. It was something to which Andile Dyasi had become used during his 14 years of selling the Cape Argus on the corner of Jan Smuts Drive and Kromboom Road in Athlone.

But this time he didn’t make it to the pavement. One minute he was dodging vehicles, the next he was regaining consciousness in an ambulance.

According to social media users, who claimed to have seen what happened, Dyasi was the victim of a hit- and-run driver.

Farzana Adam wrote on Facebook that she had seen Dyasi working on the road at about 7am and being knocked down by a maroon VW Citi Golf.

“This guy reversed past all of us on the opposite lane and sped away – with his family in the car. Horrible,” Adam wrote under “Traffic fines, cameras & updates” on the Western Cape’s Facebook page.

The incident sparked outrage, particularly after one user revealed the driver’s licence plate number.

But Dyasi, grimacing in pain as he walked from the entrance of Groote Schuur Hospital shortly after being discharged, is none the wiser.

“There was this car moving towards me and I jumped out of the way and then I woke up in the ambulance,” he said slowly.

He was in pain. The crash had left him with two large grazes on his face, and a bruise on his head.

His knees were swollen from the impact of hitting the tarmac.

But while the force of the collision had knocked him unconscious, he hung on to his stack of newspapers.

Every morning, Dyasi, who lives in Langa, wakes up at 4am to walk to Gatesville in Athlone to pick up copies of the Cape Argus, Daily Voice and Cape Times to sell.

He is accustomed to the busy road, where cars jostle for space to make turns at the intersection.

And in 14 years, this is the first time he has been hit.

“So if I feel better tomorrow, I will go out there again. I’m not scared.”

He had little to say about the driver who left him to fend for himself.

But the users on the Western Cape Facebook page were not content to let the motorist get away.

“Sad, hope this guy will be okay though. No respect for a life. Hope (the motorist) is caught and punished,” wrote Anthea Williams.

By last night, police had not yet responded to queries about whether the motorist had handed himself in.

[email protected]

Cape Argus