568 18.06.2012 Chris Mahlangu who is convicted of killing rightwing leader Eugene Terre'Blanche in 2010 at his farm, makes his way at the High Court sitting in Ventersdorp. Mahlangu and Patric Ndlovu's sentecing to August by the court, Ventersdorp. Picture: Itumeleng English

Convicted murderer Chris Mahlangu is HIV positive and believes Eugene Terre’Blanche infected him when he allegedly raped him in April 2010.

This was revealed in the Ventersdorp Circuit Court on Friday morning as a clinical psychologist, who assessed Mahlangu, testified in mitigation of sentencing.

“Mr Mahlangu says he is HIV positive and suspects he must have been infected by the deceased. He alleges he was raped by the deceased three to four times and did not resist because the deceased was a powerful man. He did inform police about the rape and for fraudulent reasons, that was not included in the statement,” Hein Swanepoel told the court.

On the day of the incident, Mahlangu had gone to Terre’Blanche’s home after realising that his suitcase was missing from his living quarters. He had hoped to go home for the Easter long weekend.

When he arrived at the home of Terre’Blanche, the slain Afrikaner Weerstandsbeweging (AWB) leader had led him to his bedroom and shown him that he had taken the suitcase .

Terre’Blanche had apparently refused to pay him his wages so that he could not go home until his missing cattle were found.

Mahlangu was allegedly raped in the bedroom.

“The deceased threw him on to the bed, pulled down his pants and raped him. The sex lasted for about three minutes,” said Swanepoel.

After he was raped, Mahlangu claims he had then tried to grab his suitcase and leave but Terre’Blanche allegedly “grabbed him by the neck and showed him a panga”.

“He said he (Mahlangu) then saw an iron rod lying on the floor so he grabbed it and hit the deceased. He said the deceased had previously assaulted him with fists and a sjambok,” he said.


When Swanepoel assessed his wife, she indicated Mahlangu had been “raped four times by the deceased at gunpoint”.

[email protected]

The Star