File picture: Phill Magakoe/Independent Media
Johannesburg – The family members of a man and woman who were brutally murdered over the weekend said on Wednesday, outside the Kagiso Magistrate's Court, that they were struggling to cope with their grief.

State prosecutor Thabo Ntlailane told Magistrate Jacob Mamabolo that the matter could not proceed as the five suspects did not have legal representatives.

The men, aged between 22 and 26, are being charged with two counts of murder, two of kidnapping and one of rape, with the driver of the vehicle facing an additional charge of reckless and negligent driving.

Jeanette Cindi, 34, and her friend Lungelo Buthelezi, 31, were murdered in the early hours of Saturday moning after a night out.

It is alleged the victims and another friend were on their way home when Buthelezi was knocked over by the suspects.

The suspects, in a minibus taxi, stopped and allegedly told them they had to transport an injured Buthelezi to hospital.

Cindi, reportedly five months pregnant, was raped repeatedly, stoned and set alight. Buthelezi was also stoned and set alight.

The men requested legal representatives on Wednesday despite previously telling the court that they did not want legal aid.

The public gallery was filled to capacity with family, friends and community members of Tshepisong, West of Johannesburg, where Cindi and Buthelezi resided.

The matter was postponed to April 20 for legal aid representatives to be appointed and for a formal bail application.

Speaking to African News Agency outside the court Buthelezi's neighbour Rachel Koetle said: "He was a quiet person, he wasn't all over the streets. They didn't deserve what happened to them." Koetle added that Cindi and Buthelezi loved each other a lot.

Clowy Cindi, Jeanette's sister, said that her sister and Buthelezi dated in the past and she didn't know that they were seeing each other again as she was in a relationship with the father of her child.

"I'm not coping, I can't sleep. Her son is 16 years old, he's got a lot of anger. I had to tell him what happened to his mother."

Cindi said they took her sister to hospital, where she died the following morning. "If it was possible I'd want to see them hanged. If I met them on the street it would be war. These people don't belong to the community they are monsters," she said.

Jabulani Buthelezi, Lungelo's father, said his son was the first of four children and had a five year old daughter.

"I don't know what I'd do to these people," he said softly.

The family had been visited by the owner of the taxi that was used in the incident and this, they said, had given them some closure.

One community member said the suspects' families should have apologised: "The family members of the men never came to say anything to us.

They could've approached community leaders if they were scared. Them apologising for what their children have done would make a difference."