Omar Carrim his wife Nurjehan. Photo: Etienne Creux

Pretoria - A Laudium family feels the justice system is failing them after a prominent businessman was killed nearly six years ago, but his killers are still awaiting sentence.

Zulika Alli, the sister-in-law of murdered Omar Carrim, on Thursday pleaded with North Gauteng High Court Judge Sulet Potterill to see that justice is done.

“We are relying on you to see that justice is done,” Alli told the judge from the public gallery.

Carrim’s killers - Clement Mametja and Winners Lekgoro - were due to be sentenced on Thursday after the submission of two pre-sentencing reports to court.

The social workers were told a month ago by the court to speak to all the parties concerned and to compile the reports.

This had not been done by on Thursday, as they claimed they could not get hold of the victim’s family.

But Alli said they were available at all times and eager to assist so the matter could be finalised.

“You do not know what we are going through... We cannot accept what is happening. This (case) may not mean much to the court and other parties, but it means a lot to us,” Alli said.

She told the judge she had worked as an assessor for many years and knew court procedures.

Judge Potterill had to ask the upset woman several times to sit down. She said the delays were not due to the court’s fault, but to circumstances outside its control.

Judge Potterill had to take over the case and start afresh after Judge Belinda Molamu died in the middle of the case. Judge Potterill also said she was willing to dispose of the matter on Thursday, despite the court still being in recess.

The judge told the social workers to immediately consult with the family and to have their reports ready by August 26. “If the reports are not ready, I will go ahead with sentencing without them,” she said.

Omar’s murder in October 2008 shocked Laudium as he was beaten to death in cold blood. He was hit on the head and in the face with the butt of a firearm after a gang of robbers broke into his Mink Street home.

His wife Nurjehan Carrim, who was praying in the room at the time, was also attacked. She had to spend two weeks in intensive care with brain injuries after she was also hit on the head and in the face.

The 68-year-old man, after being hit and while bleeding profusely, was dragged from room to room as the robbers went in search of money and valuables.

They fled the house with jewellery and foreign currency and locked the couple inside the home.

Although on the brink of death, Carrim managed to open the door for his son by using his teeth.

He then sat on a sofa, asked his son for a glass of water and closed his eyes. “He never opened his eyes again,” his son Ebrahim earlier told the court. on Thursday, he said his mother, who is not well, is not attending court as she was still extremely traumatised.

“She still gets nightmares and every time this case is on the roll, it opens old wounds. We just want closure,” Alli said.

Pretoria News