Franziska Blöchliger, 16, was raped and murdered in Tokai Forest.
The Western Cape High Court has granted a three-week delay in the Franziska Blöchliger trial to allow a new defence lawyer time to acquaint himself with the case.

Legal Aid advocate Henk Carstens is to defend murder accused Howard Oliver.

On Wednesday, Judge Kate Savage ordered a postponement until June 6.

Judge Savage also warned Oliver he would not be able to change lawyers again.

“You are only allowed one occasion to terminate legal representative, which you have now used. You have no more chances now,” she said.

Earlier this week, Oliver’s previous lawyer Ken Klopper withdrew from the case. He said he had received contradictory statements which would not allow him to continue with the case.

“It is ethics,” he told the court.

Franziska, 16, went missing in the Tokai forest while jogging with her mother on March 7, 2016. Her naked body was found during a search in fynbos.

She had been been raped before being murdered.

Oliver is facing two charges of rape, and one of robbery and murder.

He pleaded not guilty to the rape and murder charges, but admits to have attacked and robbed the teenager of her cellphone.

He admits to stripping the 16-year-old of her pants, but said he did not take off her underwear.

Oliver said he left Franziska unconscious, but is certain she was breathing. 

[email protected]

Cape Argus