Kimeera Rajbunsis body was found dumped in a sugar cane field near Glen Anil.

A man accused of murdering his teenage girlfriend has told a court he went to her Phoenix house and struck her with a frying pan, but that he had suffered “temporary mental incapacity”.

Seventeen-year-old Kimeera Rajbunsi was allegedly murdered by her boyfriend, Sholin Bissoon, 21, early on Monday last week. Her body, with multiple stab wounds, was found last Wednesday at a stream near Glen Anil.

The suspect, accompanied by an attorney, led the police to the body.

He has been charged with premeditated murder, and applied for bail in the Verulam Magistrate’s Court this week.

In his affidavit before the court, he submitted diary entries in which his girlfriend wrote that she was planning to break up with him. She wrote that she did not know how he would react.

She spoke of her affection for another man, whom she referred to by name. She said she had lost interest in Bissoon and thought constantly about the new man.

He also claimed he had “temporary mental incapacity as a result of a cause unrelated to mental illness”.

“My mental state was such that I was unable to think rationally,” he said in the affidavit.

Prosecutor, Carlson Govender, dismissed these claims, stating that the murder was planned and that a life sentence should apply.

The investigating officer, Warrant Officer Pat Moodley, testified that Bissoon had told police that he and Rajbunsi had argued and he had struck her with a Bauer frying pan.

Blood had been found in a Toyota Fortuna belonging to Bissoon’s father. They had also found traces of blood in the house, which had been sent for forensic testing.

He testified that Rajbunsi’s body was found with multiple stab wounds to the chest.

Opposing bail for Bissoon, the policeman said there had been a huge public outcry on social media.

“A Facebook page named In Loving Memory Of Kimeera, was set up to show support for the victim. There have been almost 7 000 comments posted from people who are outraged by the murder of this girl.

“People from Durban, Johannesburg and the US have voiced their anger and disappointment. People have even threatened the life of the accused,” Moodley said.

He also told the court that Bissoon lived near the Rajbunsis’ home and there could be no guarantee for their safety.


“Given his mental state and him asking for psychological help in his affidavit, the accused also poses a threat to the deceased’s mother and sister.”

Dressed in blue jeans and an oversized white T-shirt, Bissoon looked dejected and kept his head down throughout the proceedings.

Defence attorney, Rajendra Nathalal, questioned Moodley’s impartiality in the investigation: “You as the investigating officer put up a posting on Facebook. The posting read that you will ensure that justice will be done. Surely that brings about bias,” said Nathalal.

He also questioned the time police were taking to complete their interviews in the case.

Magistrate Visha Naidoo adjourned the matter to next week and Bissoon was remanded in custody.

Daily News