Johannesburg - The Gauteng government on Thursday said it would not stand by and watch people illegally construct shacks on land in Kokosi in Fochville.
“Those with the intention of invading the land should think again because they are going to be removed immediately,” Gauteng human settlements MEC Ntombi Mekgwe said.
Mekgwe and Merafong mayor Maphefo Letsie visited the area on Thursday to mark the development of a housing project, spokesman Motsamai Motlhaolwa said in a statement.
The 200 hectares of land at Kokosi extension 7 - purchased by the government last year - would be used to build RDP houses for the residents in the area.
The housing project planned to deliver about 3000 RDP houses upon completion, and the first phase of the project would consist of 500 houses.
She said residents who did not qualify for a government housing subsidy should not attempt to invade the land.
“This group of people must just abandon their plan because we are going to foil it,” said Mekgwe.
She said a contractor was appointed to install bulk infrastructure on the land.
“We have agreed with the contractor that the installation of bulk infrastructure should start urgently so that the construction of houses can be accelerated,” said Mekgwe.
Government had also reached a deadlock for the land acquisition in extension 6 in the area.
“Our legal team is dealing with the matter for a way forward,” said Mekgwe.
“If things go our way we are also going to develop the area to build more houses for the residents.”
Residents in the area embarked on a violent service delivery protest last year and demanded RDP houses.