File photo

Cape Town - A police captain accused of soliciting a R1000 bribe from a reservist will know his fate in the Bellville Commercial Crimes Court on February 20.

Captain Riaan Jordan of Wolsely police in the Western Cape is accused of extorting R1000 from then reservist Zolani Jam-jam to get him permanent employment.

Jordaan pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Prosecutor Xolile Jonas told the court Jordaan had persistently reminded Jam-jam that he owed him R4000.

However, Jordaan said he often lent Jam-jam money, and his demands were for the repayment of the loans.

Jam-jam denied ever borrowing money from Jordaan.

On Friday, Jordaan's witness Lieutenant Manie Baron told the court how he had seen him lending Jam-jam about R300 for an eye specialist appointment.

Jonas questioned Baron's testimony and said he had not seen this incident.

The court had earlier heard that an undercover operation to trap Jordaan was aborted when he became suspicious.

The operation lasted nearly two hours before Jordaan became suspicious.

According to the charge sheet, Jordaan gave Jam-jam a letter of recommendation in 2009.

Jam-jam needed this letter for permanent appointment to the police service. He was permanently appointed in February 2010.

Jonas alleges that in August 2011, Jordaan reminded Jam-jam about the recommendation and wanted R4000 for “the favour”.

In October 2011, Jordaan was arrested and released on R2500 bail after he pleaded not guilty to one charge of extortion and another of corruption.

Investigating officer Captain Mabalela Nati told the court he received information about Jordaan's alleged request and obtained permission to set up a trap.

Nati organised two separate undercover operations, and in each Jam-jam was to offer Jordaan R1000 as part-payment of the R4000.

Jam-jam's first meeting with Jordaan took place at a shopping centre in Tulbagh, while Nati and other members of the operation watched from a distance.

Jam-jam told Jordaan he had obtained a loan, and then went to an ATM where he pretended to draw the money, but activated a hidden recording device instead, Nati told the court.

Jam-jam later reported to Nati that Jordaan had accepted the first R1000, and had even given him a 50 percent discount.

This meant Jam-jam now only owed Jordan another R1000 instead of R3000.

In the second operation a few days later, Jordaan met Jam-jam at the same place, but this time Jordaan became suspicious, and the two haggled for about two hours before the operation was aborted.

No money was given to Jordaan in the second operation, Nati said.

He said he later told the Western Cape Directorate of Public Prosecutions what had happened.

The DPP decided to charge Jordaan with extortion and corruption, based on the first operation. - Sapa