Durban - The man accused of stabbing his former fiancée to death at the Liberty Midlands Mall cried in the dock of the Pietermaritzburg Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday as he made his bid for bail.

Nkululeko Ngubane, 30, put his head in his hands and wept as he pleaded with magistrate Nsoaki Ndawonde to release him on bail.

“I am the only breadwinner in my family. I need to support my two children and my sick mother. I also need to get medical attention for my injuries because I am not receiving any care in prison,” the wheelchair-dependent man said.

Ngubane, who allegedly jumped from the N3 bridge near the mall minutes after the June killing of his former lover, Sindiswa Mshengu, sustained multiple fractures in the fall.

He told the court that he intended to plead not guilty to murder.

Ngubane said he had undergone three operations for his injuries and was in constant pain.

“I have no pain medication and I am not being taken to Northdale Hospital for my check-ups.

“There are only three wheelchairs in prison and if they are being used for other patients I am unable to get around.”

If released on bail his brother would see to it that he received the proper medical treatment, he said.

Cross-examined by prosecutor Rene Padayachee as to how he received his injuries, Ngubane refused to comment. He admitted, however, that Mshengu was his former fiancée.

Ngubane did not answer questions relating to the testimony of investigating officer Milton Hadebe, who is opposing his bail application.

Hadebe, who confirmed that Ngubane had been paying lobolo for Mshengu, told the court that Ngubane allegedly bought the knife used in the murder at the Royal Smokers Store in the mall just minutes before the attack.

CCTV footage is said to show Ngubane walking into a shop at the mall and buying a knife for R100.

A bloodied knife was allegedly found in Ngubane’s car.

Hadebe said he also believed that if released on bail, Ngubane would attempt suicide again.

Alternatively, his life could be in danger from an enraged Willowfontein community where Mshengu lived.

Mshengu was employed as a parking attendant at the mall, where Ngubane worked at a clothing shop.

The bail application was adjourned to September 2 when Ngubane’s brother and employers are expected to testify.

Daily News