Motorbiker, Caroline Trummer, gathered with fellow bikers outside the Roodepooort Magistrate's Court to support the family of Douglas Pearce, who was shot dead in a road rage incident earlier this year. The accused, Meekahaefele Masooa, has pleaded not guilty, saying he acted in self defence. The case has been postponed to 30th September. Picture: Antoine de Ras, 21/08/2014

Johannesburg - There was pink fur on her legs, fake guns stuck to the sides of her bike, and dream-catchers dangling from her handle bars.

Biker Caroline Trummer didn’t know deceased biker Douglas Pearce but she still came through to the Roodepoort Magistrate’s Court on Thursday to support his family. “The biking community are very connected,” she said.

Meekahaefele Masooa, who is accused of Pearce’s murder, appeared briefly on Thursday. He has pleaded not guilty to the murder charge as he says he acted in self-defence.

Earlier this year, Masooa and Pearce got into an altercation on Witkoppen Road. Both men were carrying guns, and according to Masooa’s statement, Pearce blocked his way, stopping in front of him before climbing off his bike and approaching his car brandishing a firearm.

Masooa said he feared for his life and had no intention to kill when he fired the two shots that killed Pearce. He remained at the scene, handing over both firearms when the police arrived.

Dressed in a suit with his hands behind his back, the labour law consultant asked the court to wrap up the case against him, saying he was tired of the postponements.

Addressing magistrate Denise Smith directly, Masooa called for the prosecutor to indicate the status of the investigation. He asked for the murder charges against him to be provisionally withdrawn.

“If this matter is withdrawn, it obviates the inconvenience of coming to court.

“If the case is withdrawn and the investigation continues, and if the State finds they have a case against me, they know where to find me,” he said in a confident and assertive manner.

Masooa told the court he was well known in the country and his address was known, indicating that he would not abscond. He had requested to personally address the court as his lawyer, who was reportedly sick, was not present for the proceedings.

Smith reminded him that he faced a serious charge which could take a long time to investigate. Earlier, she called for the investig tors to do their job. “I’m sure everybody wants this case finalised,” she added.

“The police must pull up their socks and do their work,” she said, postponing the case to September 30.

Masooa, who is on R5 000 bail, walked out of the court with a smile on his face without looking at the public gallery and Pearce’s family.

Pearce’s family and his wife Tammy gathered around a lawyer requesting details.

[email protected]

The Star