A memorial service was held at New Apostolic Church in Tafelsig, Mitchell's Plain for three police constables, Thanduxolo Ndiki, Amanda Ladlokova and Masibonge Nqwabe who were killed in the line of duty. Picture: Tracey Adams/Cape Argus

Cape Town - The family of slain Athlone police officer Constable Thanduxolo Ndiki said his wife now fears for her life after their home was broken into early Tuesday morning.

Relatives said an unknown man smashed the living room window with a concrete slab at about 3am.

However, police spokeswoman Constable Noloyiso Rwexana could not confirm this.

But Ndiki’s sister in-law, who was too afraid to be named, said they heard noises coming from downstairs in the double-storey home.

“It sounded like someone was trying to open the door. We switched the lights on and started shouting, asking who it was. We were scared and called for a police van. The person did not respond but left.

“After some time the person came back again. We all started screaming for help because the man was cursing at us from the outside. He then smashed the window and fled when neighbours came out,” she said.

Siviwe Ndiki, the slain officer’s wife, is also a police officer.

Her sister said Siviwe was having sleepless nights.“She is in constant fear that her husband’s killers will come and finish her off.”

The couple tied the knot two weeks ago after a one-year engagement. Then, three days ago, Ndiki’s body was found lying on a pavement. He was wounded in the shoulder and later died in hospital. His vehicle was recovered in Muizenberg.

When the Cape Argus visited the Ndiki’s Delft home today shards of glass were still on the floor.

A neighbour said she suspected that the man who had broken into the house was not a robber. The man was dressed in army shorts and a navy hoodie.

“If he was a robber he would have fled when he heard their screams and not returned.”

Ndiki is the sixth police officer to be shot in just over two weeks. On the same day of Ndiki’s death, off duty police officer Mabhuti Nqwaba, 33, was shot and killed during an attempted hijacking in Kraaifontein.