An unidentified family friend of the Steenkamp family glances at Olympic and Paralympic track star Oscar Pistorius during the fifth day of his trial for the murder of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp at the North Gauteng High Court in Pretoria. Photo: Themba Hadebe/Reuters

Pretoria - The ninth witness brought to the stand in the murder trial of Oscar Pistorius was Pieter Baba, a shift leader and security guard at Silverwoods Country estate.

Baba was on duty the night Pistorius shot his model girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp.

He told the court that to get into the estate, a person would have to be signed in through the security gate, and the owner of the home to be visited must be contacted. If the owner is unavailable, a visitor will not be given access.

Baba said he knew Pistorius from television, a famous person who lived at the estate.

He said he knew Steenkamp through Pistorius.

On the night Steenkamp was shot, he was on duty with a few other guards.

He saw the model arrive at 6pm when she came into the estate by herself in her car.

However, he said he'd not called Pistorius to verify her entry because Steenkamp had been at the complex during the day.

Pistorius came to the estate a few minutes after Steenkamp, on his cellphone.

Later that night, one of his guards on patrol who said that some residents' doors and gates were open. He went to check the homes, and was told by residents they had heard gunshots. The security guards then went to check Pistorius' house, where the shots had come from.

But when he went to Pistorius' home, the athlete told security everything was fine.

It was noticed Pistorius had been crying and all was not well.

“I told Jacob (the other guard) that everything was not in order,” said Baba.

It was only after Baba had returned to the security office that he received a series of phone calls some time later prompting him to return to Pistorius' house. Johan Stander, the estate manager had already arrived at the home. “I could tell from their faces that something had happened at Mr Pistorius' house,” Baba told the court.

Stander and his daughter unlocked the door and went into the home.

Pistorius came down the stairs with Steenkamp, carrying her body.

“I was so shocked... I couldn't even think for a few moments as to what clothing Pistorius was wearing,” said Baba.

He regained his composure when Stander called out to Pistorius.

Stander sent Baba out to call the paramedics, which he did.

Defence advocate, Barry Roux, tried to confirm the sequence of events.

He told the court that just before 3.16am, Dr Johannes Stipp, a neighbour of Pistorius had contacted the security landline.

About a minute earlier, Baba had been on the phone with another resident about the gunshots.

Roux also said Pistorius made a call to the security cell phone number at 3.21am, with Pistorius crying on the other side of the line.

The trial continues on Monday.

The Star