File Photo

Durban - The manager of a popular eatery in Overport has been arrested after he allegedly hatched a plan to rob an employee of the day’s takings.

The 22-year-old man who allegedly carried out the robbery on his orders was also arrested – after angry people nabbed him when he ran into a cul-de-sac. The 38-year-old manager and the man had allegedly planned to hold up an employee with a toy gun on Saturday morning.

According to a police source, the manager and an assistant had arrived at the eatery in Moses Kotane (Sparks) Road to fetch the day’s takings. The manager stayed in the car while his colleague went inside.

The assistant returned with two packets and was getting into the vehicle when a man suddenly grabbed him by the collar and a scuffle between the two ensued.

As they fought for the packets, which contained money, the assistant fell to the ground. His assailant stood over him, lifted his shirt to reveal the butt of a gun and then grabbed the packets from the car seat and ran off.

In his haste, he ran into a dead end in Butcher Road, a few streets away from the store. Car guards who saw the incident, followed and cornered him before demanding that he hand over some of the cash – in return for helping him find his way out, to freedom.

The alleged robber agreed and while they were walking towards Barns Road the manager arrived on foot and assured him that nothing would happen to him if he carried on walking.

However, people who became aware of the robbery ran after him. The suspect panicked and ran, but was eventually caught and allegedly assaulted by locals before being arrested by police.

Police spokesman, Captain Myentherin Lazarus, said they recovered an undisclosed amount of money and a toy pistol.

He said that further investigations by Detective Warrant Officer Brett Cotton had revealed that the suspects, both from Chatsworth, had allegedly planned the robbery on Friday night.

Sydenham Community Police Forum spokesman, Satish Dhupelia, said he was grateful the community had apprehended the suspect because it shed more light on those allegedly involved in the crime. The suspects were expected to appear in the Durban Magistrate’s Court on Monday.

Daily News