File picture: Skyler Reid

Johannesburg - Gauteng police on Monday confirmed the arrest of a 33-year-old man in connection with a deadly shooting at the Hillbrow Theatre on Sunday. 

The incident took place in the early hours of the morning and allegedly unfolded after a man's cellphone was stolen. 

The man reportedly jumped onto the stage while a band was performing and threatened to stop the show unless his phone was returned. 

"When the audience tried to intervene, he fired shots randomly and eight people were shot. He fled from the scene on foot," Dlamini said at the time.
 
One person, Allan Percy Ndlovu, died while seven others were injured as a result of the shooting.

Following this, Gauteng provincial police spokesperson Colonel Lungelo Dlamini confirmed that the suspect had been arrested at Tembisa hospital, where he was under police guard after his arrest in connection with an armed robbery.

“He was [initially] arrested at the Greenstone Mall after a group of five suspects robbed a business yesterday [Sunday] morning; police and mall security chased the suspects as they were fleeing and managed to arrest him while four other suspects managed to escape.

“During the incident, the suspect sustained injuries and was taken to the hospital under police guard. Four others are still at large.”

Dlamini confirmed that the suspect was charged with murder, attempted murder, armed robbery and possession of unlicensed firearm.

Meanwhile, Gauteng provincial Police Commissioner Lieutenant General Deliwe De Lange welcomed the swift arrest of the suspect. 

"This has been the most horrible incident that has been experienced by the audience who were at the theatre to enjoy themselves.

“Police will never rest until the suspect get what he deserves. Justice will be allowed to take its course,” she said.