Spes Bona pupil Glenrico Martin was shot dead at school. File photo: Ayanda Ndamane

Cape Town - A teenager was jailed for 24 years by the Western Cape High Court on Monday for shooting dead Cape Town pupil Glenrico Martin.

Wilston Stoffels pleaded guilty to charges of gang-related offences, murder and illegal possession of a firearm and ammunition, in terms of an agreement before Judge John Hlophe.

He admitted he and co-accused Jevon Snyman had been part of a criminal gang called the Young Americans.

He said they received an order from senior gang members last year to kill Martin because he was a member of a rival gang.

Stoffels said they went to Spes Bona Secondary School in Athlone on May 15 last year with a firearm.

“I admit that whilst Accused two [Snyman] and I were at the school, a taxi arrived and I saw the deceased and other students getting out of the taxi,” he said in his plea agreement.

“I admit that I then fired a single shot at the deceased with this firearm and this shot hit the deceased on his head.” Stoffels was 18 at the time, and Snyman 19.

Hlophe sentenced Stoffels to 24 years for the murder, seven years for gang offences, three years for illegal possession of a firearm and a year for illegal possession of ammunition.

The sentences would run concurrently.

In considering his sentence, aggravating factors were that the province had a gangsterism problem, innocent people were often victims and similar offences were becoming more prevalent.

It was also noted that Martin was killed on school grounds in full view of his fellow pupils.

In mitigation of sentence, the court took into account that Stoffels was remorseful, had stayed away from his gang affiliates and was a first offender in terms of violent crimes.

It also recognised he was young at the time of the offence and was “basically illiterate, of low intelligence and was brought up under trying circumstances”.

At a pre-trial conference last week, William da Grass said his client, Snyman, was also likely to opt for plea-bargain proceedings.

He said he first needed to discuss the possibility with Snyman's family.

Snyman's case was postponed until April 17.