Johannesburg - A third suspect has been arrested in connection with the Rhodes Park rape and murders.
A 33-year-old man was nabbed on Friday in Sunnyside Park, Pretoria, according to Gauteng police spokesman Lieutenant-Colonel Lungelo Dlamini.
Two other suspects, aged 22 and 24, were arrested - one in October and the other last month.
“The two men, identified as Edmor Ndlovu and Thabo Nkala, have already been charged and also appeared in the Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court last week,” Dlamini said.
The third man was expected to appear in the same court on Monday on charges of rape and murder.
All three men are believed to have been part of a gang of 12 who killed two men and raped a woman at Rhodes Park in Kensington on October 17.
At the time, Dlamini said the two men and their wives were walking in the park when they were confronted by a group of men. The suspects allegedly tied up both men and threw them into the dam at the park, where they drowned. One of their wives was raped but the other woman managed to escape.
“It is alleged that one of the suspects was armed with a handgun,” Dlamini said.
“A reward of up to R100 000 will be offered to anyone who comes forward with information that may lead to the arrest and conviction of the other men who police are still looking for,” Dlamini said.
Anyone with information should call Warrant Officer Bruce van der Schyff on 082 651 7769 at all hours.
Information can also be forwarded to Crime Stop at 08600 10111 at all hours.