Do the right thing, ANC tells ex-MEC
Polokwane - The ANC called on former Limpopo MEC Miriam Segabutla on Wednesday not to participate in party structures after she was arrested on fraud charges.
“It is the expectation of the ANC members that Cde Miriam will be guided by her conscience to do the right thing,” said African National Congress spokesman Jackson Mthembu.
The ex-health and social development MEC and member of the ANC national executive committee, along with two associates, appeared in the Polokwane Magistrate's Court on Tuesday in relation to alleged tender fraud worth about R15 million.
“Those who are facing serious criminal charges should on their own volition... step aside from participating in any ANC leadership positions and occupying public office pending the outcome of the court proceedings.”
Mthembu said this course of action for members who faced serious criminal charges was decided on at the party's national conference in Mangaung last year
The allegations against Sekgabutla were “damaging and indicative of an improper conduct on her part”.
“The ANC will, in due course, pronounce on action that it will take on Cde Miriam,” said Mthembu.
“The charges levelled against her have the potential to harm the image and standing of the ANC in its fight against crime and corruption.”
Segabutla's arrest followed Public Protector Thuli Madonsela's report which stated that Segabutla had displayed improper conduct during her tenure as MEC.
The investigation was prompted by a complaint lodged with Madonsela's office in June 2010 relating to the procurement of services for a Limpopo government department.
“Segabutla acted in a manner that is inconsistent with the position that she occupied, and that was not in the best interests of the department,” Madonsela said in February.
Segabutla is out on R25,000 bail and will again on July 5 with two associates. - Sapa