Cape Town - 2016/03/06 Johannes Bitterhoud shows the daily voice the injuries he sustained after the knock.  Schalk Burger senior, father of stormers rugby player Schalk Burger junior, has apparently driven over one of the farm workers that live on his farm.  Photo: Bertram Malgas
Cape Town - 2016/03/06 Johannes Bitterhoud shows the daily voice the injuries he sustained after the knock. Schalk Burger senior, father of stormers rugby player Schalk Burger junior, has apparently driven over one of the farm workers that live on his farm. Photo: Bertram Malgas

Ex-Bok accused of attempted murder

By sandso.phaliso Time of article published Mar 7, 2016

Share this article:

Cape Town - A former Springbok rugby player has been accused of attempting to murder a man who used to work for him, and who continues to live on his wine farm in the Western Cape.

Police confirmed on Sunday that a case of attempted murder has been opened against the former Springbok.

Johannes Bitterbos, who worked on the farm until three years ago when he was fired, claims he was knocked over by a quadbike driven by the former Springbok on Saturday afternoon.

Bitterbos said he fell to the ground after he was knocked down.

He claimed he would have been driven over again but managed to roll out of the way.

Bitterbos said he has bruises all over his body.

Witnesses then phoned the police, who called an ambulance.

A group of about 20 farmworkers went to the police station to help Bitterbos lodge a complaint.

On Sunday a group of about 30 farmworkers picketed outside the farm, demanding that the former Springbok hand himself over to the police.

A representative of the farmworkers, Alvina Abrahams, said it was sad that he had not yet been arrested.

“We want justice for our people. If the victim had been a white person, he would have been locked up a long time ago,” she said, adding that the farmworkers want the station commander of Wellington police station investigated.

“We say enough is enough,” said Abrahams.

Police spokesperson Frederick van Wyk said an attempted murder case was opened for investigation.

He said there had been no arrest as yet and the investigation is continuing.

The Cape Times tried repeatedly to get comment from the former Springbok, but he was not available at the time of publishing.

[email protected]

@PhalisoSandiso

Cape Times

Share this article: