Cape Town - A former Proteas cricketer who has apparently been in hot water before is the focus of two separate investigations after allegedly assaulting a high school pupil.
The cricketer, 35, from Pinelands, has not been formally charged and so may not be named.
He is expected to be charged when he appears in the Goodwood Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday.
The incident which sparked a police probe into his actions happened outside Pinelands High School on Wednesday afternoon, with one report suggesting the cricketer held the boy by the throat and hit him.
Police spokeswoman Constable Noloyiso Rwexana said a 14-year-old boy had opened an assault case, which spurred an investigation.
She said the suspect, who she did not name, had not been arrested.
But he was warned to appear in court on Tuesday.
Rwexana said media reports the ex-cricketer faced a kidnapping charge were false.
Pinelands High School was looking into the incident.
“We are investigating internally,” principal Dave Campbell said.
He confirmed on Friday an incident took place outside the school on Wednesday and involved a pupil.
The ex-Proteas cricketer involved in the incident has apparently been in trouble before.
Weekend Argus understands this trouble related to a cricket matter.
On Friday Weekend Argus repeatedly called and then messaged a phone number the cricketer used. He did not reply.
Earlier on Friday the cricketer told Eyewitness News he had taken the teen boy to the school and reported him for “for swearing at me and throwing little stones at my car”.
He questioned why he would have assaulted the teen in front of his children.
The sister of the boy who was allegedly assaulted told the radio station her brother was shouting at cars passing by outside the high school.
She said the cricketer grabbed her brother by the throat, pulled him against the car and questioned what he was doing.
The boy’s sister said the cricketer got her brother into the car, smacked him and drove off.
He then drove back and dropped the teenager outside the school.