File photo

Durban - The Durban police captain who had been on the run after allegedly shooting a man in a parking lot dispute was caught in the home of a police detective, his girlfriend, early Thursday morning.

Captain Larry Heslop, 44, appeared briefly in the Durban Regional Court on Thursday on charges of attempted murder.

Magistrate Anand Maharaj remanded him in custody until next week for a date to be set for a formal bail application.

Police from the KZN Hawks gang and drug unit had obtained a warrant of arrest for Heslop after the shooting on Sunday.

On Wednesday night, they searched in Wentworth and the Bluff for him.

Then they received a tip-off that he had a girlfriend in Merebank, but police were not sure if he lived there.

At midnight, police – with crime intelligence and national intervention unit officers – swooped on the home.

They found Heslop “dressed up” and hiding in the bedroom. Police believe he may have been preparing to flee after receiving information they were looking for him.

Police later established the woman was a police detective.

They would not say which station she worked at or if charges had been laid against her. Police also seized a silver VW Polo that Heslop drove the night of the shooting.

It is alleged that Heslop shot Michael Bruce, 39, who had driven to a petrol station in Austerville Drive to buy cigarettes.

It is alleged Bruce had driven towards an empty parking space, but Heslop arrived from another entrance and moved to take the same spot.

An argument ensued and Bruce was shot. He has been hospitalised.

Heslop has been linked to three others incidents months ago. But police could not say whether there were any internal disciplinary hearings against him or whether he had been suspended.

They could not say if he still carried a State firearm.

In January this year, Heslop was granted bail of R10 000 on various charges, including attempted murder and possession of an unlicensed firearm and ammunition.

He also faced a charge of pointing a firearm in public – relating to an incident 10 months ago.

In March, he was granted bail of R5 000, this time on four counts of attempted murder, for his alleged role in a Christmas Day shooting in Wentworth.

On Thursday, magistrate Maharaj said police were still investigating and Heslop would be detained at Brighton Beach police station.

Police were still searching for the firearm allegedly used in Sunday’s shooting and they needed to verify his address.

Maharaj reminded Heslop that he still had other cases pending and was expected to appear on October 5 in connection with them.

Attorney Ridewaan Sayed represented Heslop.

Daily News