Cape Town – The Hawks are investigating the SABC for failing to comply with an Independent Communications Authority of South Africa order to lift the ban on violent protests.
Icasa councillors told Parliament on Tuesday that the SABC has failed to comply with an order to lift the ban, which caused a huge public outcry last year.
The SABC decided last year May to ban violent protests, saying this will lead to more similar incidents in other areas.
But media groups complained to Icasa, leading to the regulator to haul the SABC over the coals.
Icasa councillor Nomvuyiso Batyi told the portfolio committee on communications that they have written to the SABC several times, since the order was issued last year, but the SABC has failed to comply.
Asked by MPs what action they have taken against the SABC for failing to comply with the order, Batyi said they laid criminal charges against the SABC with the Hawks.
“We can pursue criminal charges against the SABC, which we have. Two weeks ago we made a follow up on what is the status of the investigation, we were informed the matter is with the Hawks,” she said.
Batyi said the matter was now out of their hands and the Hawks will investigate.