Independent Online

Friday, December 1, 2023

View 0 recent articles pushed to you.Like us on FacebookFollow us on TwitterView weather by locationView market indicators

I killed my lover and her baby, accused tells court

Shafieka Petersen and baby, Mishka Picture: Jack Lestrade/ANA

Shafieka Petersen and baby, Mishka Picture: Jack Lestrade/ANA

Published Nov 30, 2017


Cape Town - A man accused of killing his girlfriend and her one-year-old daughter and then hiding their bodies has confessed to the murders in court.

A thin-looking Paul Evans, 49, made his first appearance at the Bellville Magistrate's Court on Wednesday, where he shocked everyone by admitting he had confessed to the crimes to police.

Evans first told the court that he wished to appoint a Legal Aid lawyer, and then dropped a bombshell, saying there was another crime scene, at an address in Eden Road, Walmer Estate.

It was not revealed what crimes had been committed at this address.



Evans is facing a charge of double murder following the killings of Delft mom Shafieka Petersen, 38, and her toddler Mishka, whose bodies were found hidden and wrapped in blankets at their rented one-room home.

The State has indicated they will be opposing bail.

Evans also informed the court that Shafieka and Mishka lived at the crime scene in Delft.

When asked whether he understood that there was a confession, he said yes, he was aware.

On Thursday, 23 November, the landlord at Tupelo Court, N2 Gateway, found the badly decomposed body of little Mishka hidden inside a kitchen cupboard.

Baby’s body found in this cupboard. Picture: Jack Lestrade/ANA

Two days later, cops were called to the same address, where the landlord had found

Shafieka’s maggot-ridden body hidden inside a plastic tub, wrapped in blankets.

Evans, who wore a grey T-shirt and jeans, whispered to his lawyer that he had no warrants, but that he had been sentenced to 25 years, a life sentence.

It was not revealed what he was sentenced for.

The matter was postponed to January 11 for further investigation and a bail application.

The Daily Voice went to the Walmer Estate property, where we found friends of Evans, who was also a tenant there.

Paul Evans, 49, made his first appearance at the Bellville Magistrate's Court. Picture: Jack Lestrade/ANA

They revealed Evans was a tik addict who had lived in a separate entrance at the back of the house for two years.

The homeowners are family of his, and two months ago Evans moved out, to go and live with his girlfriend in Delft.

Days before his arrest on Monday, he had asked his friends to take him to a drug rehab centre.

“He said he needed help and he didn’t say anything else, of course,” says a shocked friend.

“We heard about all of this (the murders) when the police called, asking where he was. An address was given and he was arrested at that location.

“We are shocked. Why would he do this? He was on drugs and he had a sentence when he was a juvenile. Why would he say this was a crime scene?”

The landlord refused to


Daily Voice

Related Topics: