Radovan Krejcir. File picture: Bongiwe Mchunu
Radovan Krejcir. File picture: Bongiwe Mchunu

Krejcir, O’Sullivan in verbal stand-off

By BRENDAN ROANE Time of article published May 6, 2014

Share this article:

Johannesburg - Through gritted teeth and fake smiles, sworn enemies Paul O’Sullivan and Radovan Krejcir greeted each other with pleasantries on Monday.

However, civility between the two did not last long as they exchanged heated words during a stand-off inside a courtroom before Krejcir was escorted back to a holding cell.

This was in the South Gauteng High Court, sitting in the Palm Ridge Magistrate’s Court, where Krejcir was due to stand trial for attempted murder and kidnapping, along with five other men – Desai Luphondo, Siboniso Miya and Hawks members Samuel “Saddam” Maruping, George Nthoroane and Jan Mofokeng. The charges relate to an alleged kidnapping after a drug deal went wrong last June.

Although it has been two months since the trial date was set, the case had to be postponed because no judge was available to preside over it.

“Hi, Paul O’Sullivan, how are you?” Krejcir asked the forensic investigator as he was brought up to court from the cells. Both men locked eyes during the exchange and their stretched smiles were visibly no more than a pretence.

“Fine, I’ve come to see justice,” replied O’Sullivan.

Krejcir is facing separate charges, along with Miya and others, of conspiring to murder O’Sullivan and top cop Colonel Nkosana “Killer” Ximba in January.

After Monday’s case was postponed, the pair once again exchanged words.

“You didn’t fix me,” O’Sullivan said enigmatically, within touching distance of his rival.

“You must wait,” the Czech fugitive replied as he was led back to the cells below the court.

Outside court, O’Sullivan was furious as he said this was a threat.

“You can be assured I will take this further,” he said.

The case was postponed to May 8 because the judge who was initially set to preside over the trial had another case to deal with and a replacement had to be found. The replacement was not available on Monday, National Prosecuting Authority spokesman Nathi Mncube said outside the court.

[email protected]

The Star

Share this article:

Related Articles