Cape Town 150407.  Police officers  remove people that invaded a piece of Land near Nolungise station in Khayelitsha.Picture Cindy Waxa.Reporter Kieran/Argus
Cape Town 150407. Police officers remove people that invaded a piece of Land near Nolungise station in Khayelitsha.Picture Cindy Waxa.Reporter Kieran/Argus

Land invasion chaos

By Kieran Legg Time of article published Apr 9, 2015

Share this article:

Khayelitsha residents were set to meet on Thursday to discuss the occupation of land in the township’s TR sections.

“They want to meet to find out the way forward… They need this land but they are scared of building again if their homes will just be destroyed,” said a community spokesman, whose name is known to the Cape Argus but who wishes to remain anonymous.

Residents had started gathering by the time of going to print this morning.

Police spokesman Andre Traut reported that there had not been any further violence in the area after tensions boiled over on Wednesday during evictions on land next to the Nolungile train station.

But members of the Economic Freedom Fighters, who led the illegal occupation of the private land on Monday, have threatened further disruptions such as setting fires and invading land in other areas.

Squatters on the field next to the train station were outnumbered by police early on Wednesday morning. The owners of the land had obtained an order to evict dwellers who had been erecting shacks there since Monday.

About 20 of the structures, some nothing but skeletal wooden frames stood scattered between the crowd of protesters who waved their tools, including spades, crowbars and wooden sticks, fiercely above their heads.

They said they had brought their materials to the strip of land because of overcrowding in Khayelitsha’s Site C.

“There are homes with 15, 16 people living in them,” shouted Major Mali as he walked carefully along the uneven ground. “This just isn’t right.”

The squatters said they would stand their ground. But the boom of a stun grenade, and the crack of shotguns loaded with blanks and rubber bullets sent them screaming and fleeing. Demolition crews worked quickly, toppling shacks with a clang of hammers against timber and steel.

As the new homes were dismantled and loaded on to trucks, a plume of smoke rose into the air. The ranks of spectators at the nearby railway bridge turned their heads and watched as angry protesters stormed on to Govan Mbeki Road, their tools still in their hands.

Behind them they left a path of destruction, lighting bags of rubbish and tyres, throwing rocks at cars that stood in their way.

Before their clash with police on the private land, there had been hushed conversations about breaking through the doors of the local Shoprite. This plan was turned into action as the crowd turned on Site C’s Plaza, a mall tucked between the shacks in the area.

However, security guards acted quickly. One, who did not want to be named, said they managed to close the metal shutters just as the crowd reached the main entrance to Shoprite. “There was a security guard at the gate who managed to slow them down,” he said. “They beat him, but he was not injured.”

The glass fronts of the shops bore scars of the attempted looting. Security guards said looters had thrown trolleys at the entrance to try and break through, but had given up and turned back towards the train station.

They went on to stone bread trucks stranded on the road. Along Mew Way and Spine Road, protesters threw debris at passing motorists, shattering windscreens and forcing police to sporadically close the streets. EMS spokesman Darren Francis said a truck driver was taken to hospital after he was hit on the head by a rock.

By 1pm dwellers had once again gathered on the private land at the heart of the violence. Fires, started during the protests, crackled in the background, the smell of burnt petrol almost suffocating in the midday heat. After the second face-off, protests continued with stoning on the N2 highway.

Police gave the squatters a five-minute warning to leave the property. Despite supporters threatening to stand their ground, they eventually filtered towards the train station.

EFF member Khuliswa Nondala said the dwellers would not be deterred, warning that they would start fires and build shacks elsewhere to distract authorities.

Police spokesman Colonel Tembinkosi Kinana said they were investigating several cases of public violence and malicious damage to property after people, cars and businesses were stoned. He said a few people were injured, although he did not say specifically when, where, or how these injuries were sustained.

At the time of going to print, police were still out in full force at Site C in Khayelitsha.

Cape Argus

Share this article:

Related Articles