North West community activist Napoleon Webster. Picture: Facebook
North West community activist Napoleon Webster. Picture: Facebook

Marikana activist Napoleon Webster granted bail

By Molaole Montsho Time of article published Jul 27, 2017

Share this article:

Rustenburg- Napoleon Webster, the Rustenburg community activist accused of murder in Marikana, will be released on bail from prison and can now take up his position as the proportional representative (PR) councillor for the Forum 4 Service Delivery (F4SD), the civic movement said on Thursday.

"Forum 4 Service Delivery brings to light that wrongfully detained community activist Napoleon Webster will be released on bail tomorrow [Friday] from  Rustenburg Prison. Napoleon Webster, the rabble rouser will immediately commence with his work as F4SD Proportional Councillor at Rustenburg Local Municipality as a replacement for the late [Rocky] Malebane-Metsing," said national leader Mbahare Kekana.

"This was a very extreme moment for both Napoleon and F4SD since he was arrested immediately after joining the F4SD."

In February, Kekana said the F4SD was considering a number of community activists as suitable candidates to fill a seat left vacant by the untimely death of veteran politician Malebane-Metsing in November 2016.

Webster's friend Nigel Branken confirmed that he had granted bail.

"In a really dramatic turn of events, two days ago, the Deputy National Director of Public Prosecutions, Adv P Zondo, sent Napoleon's lawyers notification that they will not oppose Napoleon's bail appeal. The lawyers drafted an order yesterday [Wednesday ] which was agreed to by all parties and it was taken to a judge in the Mahikeng Court this morning [Thursday] to ratify," he said.

It was not immediately known at how much bail was set.

Branken said arrangements were being made to pay the bail and to collect Napoleon from Rustenburg Prison, also known as Ramochana.

"It looks like we will not be able to get Napoleon out today [Thursday]. There are lots of administrative processes. We hope to walk him out of prison at around 11am tomorrow [Friday] Please come and celebrate his release," he said.

Branken had been leading the #FreeNapoleonWebster campaign, since he was arrested for murder in January at the Bafokeng Magistrate's Court in Tlhabane. 

Webster was attending the court proceeding of  other men arrested in connection with the murder of  Sabata Petros Chale.

The State alleges they hacked Sabata Petros Chale, 39, to death in Marikana West, on December 8, 2016, allegedly over the allocation of low cost (RDP) houses at Marikana West Extension 2.

Chale was allegedly chased by a group of about 30 people and was hacked to death with pangas, axes and spears. He died at the scene. His attackers allegedly drank his blood.

In total 14 people, including Webster, were arrested in connection with the murder of Chale.

Aubrey Seitsang, Sibonile Sobopha, Mdlondozi Fundiwo, Herbert Baqhesi, and William Nyenyane were also denied bail. Their case was postponed to September 12.

While Aphindile Pungone, Samson Gqwetani, Gift Luveli, Nkululeko Msithwa, Nkosindiphile Nziyose, Luvo Soyizwaphi, Sivuyile Qasha and Mzolisi Mbulana were expected to apply for bail at the Rustenburg Magistrate's Court on August 2. 

They were arrested later, while Webster and the other five were already applying for bail.

Webster also faces charges of escaping from lawful custody. He was granted R4000 bail in this case.

African News Agency

Share this article: