File picture: Siegfried Modola

Johannesburg - Eighteen boys allegedly kidnapped and taken to illegal initiation schools around Gauteng last month, have been reunited with their parents.

The boys, aged between 13 and 17, were found in places such as Poortjie near Orange Farm, Boksburg and Tembisa in Ekurhuleni and Dobsonville in Soweto. Police were initially not sure if the boys had been abducted or went willingly.

“The 18 were not officially reported missing, but the police reunited them with their families,” police spokesman Captain Johannes Motsiri said on Sunday.

He said that most of the boys, among them a 13-year-old from Orange Farm, who was reported missing last week, were found with injuries. The Star reported on Thursday seven boys were recovered from initiation schools.

No arrests have been made.

[email protected]

The Star

Use IOL’s Facebook and Twitter pages to comment on our stories. See links below.