Muldersdrift man dies in hail of bullets

Published Jan 28, 2013


Johannesburg - Desmond Botha was a helpful, kind and generous man who was always there for everyone whenever they needed him.

However, it was that kindness that eventually led to his death.

The 59-year-old Muldersdrift man received a distressed call from his female neighbour at around 9.30pm on Saturday, asking him to check on her dogs, which were barking incessantly.

The neighbour was scared to do so herself late at night.

Botha, who had moved into the new place four months ago, got into his bakkie and drove around to the back where the dogs were.

He drove straight into a hail of bullets.

As the bullets rained, he reversed, trying to get away. But it was too late. He died soon afterwards, and the bakkie hit the wall of a nearby cottage.

The armed men disappeared in the darkness without taking anything. Botha was hit five times.

On Sunday, his siblings Barbara Fraser and Andy Botha, together with Fraser’s husband Dougall, arrived at his cottage to collect his belongings.

Fraser said her brother had left his Weltevreden Park townhouse four months ago for the tranquillity and the beauty of his new place.

Some of his plans had included getting chickens and goats.

However, his brother’s life had suddenly been taken by an unnecessary death, she said.

“His window was open when he was attacked, he was shot at a close range.

“He was a wonderful person and the kindest of people, always there for everyone. The proof is in the fact that he went to help a neighbour in the time of need, at 9.30 at night,” Fraser said.

While sad, Fraser, a staunch Christian who also lives in a plot in Magaliesburg, said she had made peace with the death.

“I don’t hate the people who did this, they will have to stand before God and account. I choose to forgive them so I can be free, I choose to pray for them because they need Jesus.

“If I don’t forgive them, I will harbour hatred, which will make me ill or a horrible person.”

Botha’s death was the third attack in the area in three days.

In the wake of the incidents, police held a second meeting in three days in the area to find solutions to the spate of attacks in the area.

Spokeswoman Lieutenant Katlego Mogale said they were trying to engage with the community on what is going on because in some of the incidents, nothing was taken.

“We need to find what the motive is,” she said.

[email protected]

The Star

Related Topics: