Picture: Sthembiso Sithole

Johannesburg - The African National Congress (ANC) on Monday said it has "noted reports of number of marches planned to its headquarters, Luthuli House, in Johannesburg today". 

"Whilst, the ANC has not received any formal notification of any marches to Luthuli House, we trust that any grouping intending to march today has the necessary permissions in line with the law and regulations."'

Several #ZumaMustGo and #HandsOffZuma protesters have gathered outside Luthuli House where police have maintained a visible presence.

Read: #ANCTop6 summoned NWC to Luthuli House after meeting with Zuma

"We further urge such grouping to ensure that necessary measures relating to the deployment of public order officials and emergency services have been complied with," said the ANC in a statement. 

"The ANC respects and will always uphold the right of all citizens to protest, in a disciplined and peaceful manner, on any matter. We trust those who protest today will do so in a manner that does not undermine the genuineness or otherwise of their cause."

ANC's communications manager Khusela Sangoni said one of the ANC leaders will come and receive a memorandum from protesters.

Pro-Zuma supporters of the ruling party had warned they would storm the party headquarters if he was removed as state president, something many South Africans are clamouring for.

Watch: ANC’s communications manager Khusela Sangoni briefs the media. @ReporterStar @TheStar_news @IOL #DefendANC #HandsOffZuma pic.twitter.com/BIehYojMJb

Khusela Diko says "the ANC has not received any formal notification of any marches to #LuthuliHouse" @ReporterStar @TheStar_news @IOL #DefendZuma #HandsOffZuma pic.twitter.com/JzjaGYjlz8

The Helen Joseph Street has been closed. Police are monitoring the situation. @ReporterStar @TheStar_news @IOL #DefendANC #HandsOffZuma pic.twitter.com/KoGWmeISRe

Watch: "Zuma has stolen money." ANC supporters have gathered outside #LuthuliHouse. @ReporterStar @TheStar_news @IOL pic.twitter.com/oGN3gwpxcd

Watch: Branch Secretary of the ANC from ward 62 Thabang Setona says "We are here to defend the #ANC headquarters and its leadership." @ReporterStar @TheStar_news #HandsOffZuma #DefendANC pic.twitter.com/yj2CljaLft

However, media reports have suggested that the ANC top brass met Zuma on Sunday night, where the new party leader Cyril Ramaphosa reportedly asked the President to step down. Zuma flatly refused and dared his party to remove him if the have the power to do so.

The ANC has called an emergency meeting with its National Working Committee for Monday afternoon to deal with the matter.

Ramaphosa is the deputy SA president and many are calling for him to take over from Zuma and return the country to a sound economic footing.

Previously, Ramaphosa has warned against humiliating Zuma during the transfer of power.

African News Agency/ANA