The ANC has called on Communications Minister Faith Muthambi and the SABC board not to undermine the decision of the Supreme Court of Appeal by reappointing Hlaudi Motsoeneng as chief operating officer. File picture: Dumisani Dube
The ANC has called on Communications Minister Faith Muthambi and the SABC board not to undermine the decision of the Supreme Court of Appeal by reappointing Hlaudi Motsoeneng as chief operating officer. File picture: Dumisani Dube

ANC warns SABC board and minister over Hlaudi

By Siyabonga Mkhwanazi Time of article published Sep 27, 2016

Share this article:

Parliament - The ANC has called on Communications Minister Faith Muthambi and the SABC board not to undermine the decision of the Supreme Court of Appeal by reappointing Hlaudi Motsoeneng as chief operating officer.

ANC spokesperson Zizi Kodwa said on Monday the courts were the final arbiters in any dispute and their decisions were binding.

He warned the SABC board not to take any decision that would undermine the SCA judgment.

“No decision taken by the board must be seen to or have the effect of undermining or circumventing the decision reached by our courts in this matter,” Kodwa cautioned.

The ANC's warning to the SABC comes at the time the public broadcaster has allegedly rewarded Motsoeneng with R11.4 million for selling the archives of the SABC to MultiChoice three years ago. Motsoeneng is also said to be back at the SABC after the board tabled a resolution reappointing him in his position.

Muthambi has distanced herself from attempts to get Motsoeneng back at the public broadcaster and said she had not been informed of this decision.

Board member Krish Naidoo last week criticised fellow board members for bringing Motsoeneng in through the back door.

Naidoo, who is a lawyer, said this was in violation of the court judgment, it was criminal and unethical, and he would not be party to such a decision.

Kodwa said President Jacob Zuma had also called on the SABC board to respect the SCA's decision.

He said the ruling party stood by its undertakings to respect the decisions of the courts.

“The ANC believes that there is an indisputable link between good governance and compliance with the law, and accordingly urges the SABC to ensure that it upholds, in deed, the letter and spirit of the Western Cape High Court ruling,” he said.

“The SABC board, and by necessarily implication the responsible minister, are duty bound to uphold the rule of law,” he said.

Muthambi’s spokesperson Mish Molakeng reiterated the position taken by the minister last week that she had not seen the board’s resolution on Motsoeneng’s reappointment.

“As stated before, we are confident that the SABC will give due consideration to the court ruling in the case of Motsoeneng,” said Muthambi.

SABC spokesperson Kaizer Kganyago could not be reached for comment on Monday.

The ANC has also called on the portfolio committee on communications in Parliament to hold the SABC accountable for its actions.

The committee has said it will call for the SABC board and its executive management to appear before MPs next month.

This meeting has been brought forward following events surrounding the SABC.

The SABC was this week expected to table its financials in the National Assembly and was expected to post a loss of R500 million, after a R400m loss last year.

Political Bureau

Share this article: