The annual report on crime statistics for the period 01 April 2017 to 31 April 2018 has revealed a shocking increase in the murder rate.
Police Minister Bheki Cele has announced that 20 336 people were murdered in South Africa over the past year, up 6.9 percent from the 19 016 murders reported for 2016/2017. According to the statistics, this translates to 57 murders every day.
The Western Cape has the dubious distinction of being home to seven of the ten stations with the highest reported murder rate.
These are the 10 police stations in South Africa with the highest murder rate:
1. Nyanga, Western Cape - 308 murders
2. Umlazi, KwaZulu-Natal - 223 murders
3. Philippi East, Western Cape - 205 murders
4. Inanda, KwaZulu-Natal - 203 murders
5. Delft, Western Cape - 195 murders
6. Khayelitsha, Western Cape - 192 murders
7. Kraaifontein, Western Cape - 186 murders
8. Guguletu, Western Cape - 182 murders
9. Mthatha, Eastern Cape - 160 murders
10. Mfuleni, Western Cape - 157 murders