Pretoria - The North Gauteng High Court on Thursday said the "complex" matter in which Director General of Home Affairs, Mkuseli Apleni, is challenging his suspension, will now be heard in two weeks time.
The long-serving director general turned to the courts after Home Affairs Minister Hlengiwe Mkhize placed him on precautionary suspension on September 18. He wants the high court to overturn his suspension and order his reinstatement.
Earlier this week, on Tuesday, the presiding judge said he would recuse himself because he felt that the matter was "too complex" to deal with in the urgent court which has a congested roll.
In court papers, Apleni said the minister’s reasons for suspending him were irrational and the process she followed was procedurally unfair. He said only the president has the power to suspend him.
Apleni also claims the minister was intent on settling certain matters which he was opposing. “The minister is interfering with operational matters in the department,” he further alleges.
The suspended high ranking home affairs official also said that to date no acting director-general had been appointed in his place. He said this meant that the department was operating without leadership.
His matter will be heard in October 17.