KZN premier to fight corruption
Pietermaritzburg - Nearly half a billion rand was recovered by the Asset Forfeiture Unit between January and December 2014, KwaZulu-Natal premier Senzo Mchunu said during his State of the Province address on Friday.
“We have all structures and campaigns in place to deal with the matter of fraud and corruption and we have to step up our enforcement processes to ensure that perpetrators are exposed,” he said.
“We are pleased to announce that R434.5 million has been recovered between January and December.”
R100 million had been recovered since the start of 2015, he added.
Mchunu expressed concern about increasing crime, saying it was negatively affecting the province's prospects for economic growth.
There had been an increase in murders, stock theft, business robbery, and drug-related crimes in the past year.
A total of 130 police stations in the province were being evaluated to make them more effective.
“We will be relentless in this war against those are intent on stealing our freedom,” Mchunu said.
The premier presented a five-point plan aimed at reducing poverty and inequality.
Mchunu said there were concerns about the rise in number of people living below the food poverty line.
“We are not at all pleased about the fact that people living below the poverty line of R318 per month rose from 25 percent to 38 percent between 2010 and 2014,” he said, promising to reduce the figure to 18 percent in 2015.
Mchunu conceded more needed to be done to help small businesses.
Guests attending the event included first ladies Sizakele Khumalo Zuma and Bongi Ngema Zuma, former premiers Frank Mdlalose and Ben Ngubane, and Zulu King Goodwill Zwelithini.