An ANC supporter holds a flag of the ANC while the President Jacob Zuma addresses ANC Gauteng Cadre Assembly in Pretoria. Picture: Phill Magakoe

The ANC Youth League in the Nelson Mandela Bay region has backed current ANC regional chairman Nceba Faku for another term.

“We are resolute that... comrade Nceba 'Giraffe' Faku must come back as the chairperson of the ANC in this region,” the ANCYL regional executive committee said on Wednesday.

“We are actively engaging with all branches and delegates to the conference and lobbying for the election of these tried-and-tested cadres of the movement.”

The African National Congress in the region is holding its elective conference from April 27 to 29.

Faku made headlines last year when he incited about 100 people at a local government election victory party to burn down The Herald newspaper in Port Elizabeth.

He reportedly said: “Down with The Herald, down, down! Burn The Herald! Fire to The Herald! The Herald dictated that 1/8DA leader Helen 3/8 Zille and 1/8Cope's Smuts 3/8 Ngonyama would stand here today and run the metro. The Herald was on the forefront of that... Pasop! The Herald, Pasop!”

The ANCYL in the region said it was supporting Chippa Ngcolomba for deputy chairperson, Zandisile Qupe for secretary, Joy Seale for deputy secretary and Wandisile Jikeka for treasurer.

“We believe that the principles of generation mix, young and old, gender and the national question has been addressed in this line-up,” it said.

The league said some ill-disciplined members had tried to sabotage the conference by writing letters and making false representations.

“We wish to assert to these few people that there is no way in which you will be able to sabotage the revolution in this region,” the league in the region said. - Sapa