Mandela death timeline

By SAPA Time of article published Dec 14, 2013

Share this article:

Johannesburg - A week of mourning followed after Nelson Mandela died in Johannesburg last Thursday.

Below is a timeline of the events following his death.

December 5, 2013: President Jacob Zuma announced Mandela had died and he would be given a state funeral.

December 6, 2013: Madiba's body was moved to 1 Military Hospital in Pretoria.

Zuma announced that Mandela's remains would lie in state at the Union Buildings, in Pretoria between December 11 and 13.

December 8, 2013: A number of prayer services were held around the country after Zuma announced it would be a national day of prayer and reflection to honour Mandela.

December 9, 2013: Parliament held a special sitting where MPs paid tribute.

Several buildings, including the National Assembly building, were draped in massive banners in tribute to Madiba.

The Robben Island Museum lit a candle at the prison cell where Mandela spent 18 years of his imprisonment.

December 10, 2013: Almost 100 heads of state and government, or their representatives, and royalty and thousands of mourners braved the rain to attend the official memorial at FNB Stadium.

Over 100 public viewing sites around the country were opened to the public for the service.

Zuma announced that the amphitheatre at the Union Buildings where Mandela was inaugurated as the first democratically elected president in 1994, would be named after the struggle icon.

Afterwards, the sign language interpreter at the service was called “a fake” because he was not signing properly.

Thamsanqa Jantjie later said he suffered from schizophrenia and saw angels during the service.

December 11, 2013: Citizens lined the streets of Pretoria as his cortege moved from 1 Military Hospital to the Union Buildings.

Thousands of South Africans and foreign visitors paused at the open casket of Mandela to say emotional farewells.

Mandela's family and fellow liberation leaders were the first mourners to pay their respects after the coffin was carried up the steps of the government seat by eight military officers.

December 12, 2013: As Mandela lay in state for a second day, thousands more queued before dawn at key points in the capital to visit his open coffin.

December 13, 2013: After three days of lying in state, approximately 100,000 people paid homage to Mandela.

His grandson Mandla Mandela remained with the coffin each day, travelling with it as it was transported to and from 1 Military Hospital.

December 14, 2013: The military handed over Mandela's remains to the ANC where the party and its alliance partners, the Congress of SA Trade Unions and the SA Communist Party, held a send-off ceremony at the Waterkloof Air Force Base.

The C-130 Hercules carrying the coffin took off from the Waterkloof Air Force Base and touched down in Mthatha in the Eastern Cape on Saturday afternoon.

The cortege bearing the coffin began its journey to Qunu where it arrived at his childhood village around 4pm. - Sapa

Share this article: